Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Rejoice or Mourn?

  My family will come together over the next two days to remember my Grandmother and her life. It has stirred many thoughts within me. I realize that anytime someone passes on from this side of eternity that we will question our own mortality. Is what we believe REALLY the truth?? How do we KNOW it's the truth? Does it even matter? Maybe we just all go into the grave and pleasantly "sleep" forever more. Just a meaningless vapor in this tornado of life. Is our belief in science? That based off of scientific evidence there is no God and no eternity afterwards. DO we realize that we are basing our decision solely on the genius minds of pure vapor particles? Do we even know what genius is? If everything is meaningless then all our beliefs, decisions, hypothesis, and IQ tests are meaningless as well. Because whatever comes out of this meaningless body will be just that, meaningless.
   Maybe, just maybe, we realize that this logic is flawed(because we are obviously not meaningless,right?). What IS the truth and how do we find it? If we can't trust those who claim no creator, then who do we go to? Where can we find solid evidence of where we came from, why, and where we are going? You guessed it, that book that everyone says is silly and not "academic" yet has lasted and proved itself for the last 5-7000 years. The Bible. Simple and complex, easy but hard, eternal and undeniable truth. This Truth has lasted and been confirmed throughout history. People come and go with their philosophies and ideas but the Bible has remained true and steady. It's foundational. So, if you want to know the foundation, if you want to know why, read it. You aren't a genius. The creator is. And because of that, we can trust that what he has said, done, and will do is truth. It will not die because he is eternal.
   All that being said, I am so glad that I have hope. I will rejoice for my Grandmother because I believe in the truth. I don't believe that she just ceases to be. This hope is given to us through faith in Jesus Christ. He says "I am the truth, and the life. No one goes to the Father except through me." There is no other way by which man can be saved. I am so thankful that I have a hope. I have a reason to live AND Die!! No, I will not mourn, I will rejoice that she is being made whole by her creator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you addressed this Crystal. As you know, I spent a large part of my life running from the truth, so the beginning of this post struck a cord with me. It is easy for us to let our ego blind us, thinking that we have a grasp on existence that surpasses what can be contained in a book. Ive heard the expression, "The smartest thing one can do is accept ones own ignorances." I think it applies here quite well.

When it comes to the question of rejoice or mourn, I say it will forever be a mixture for me. I will mourn because I know that death is the ultimate separation in this life. I know that for the rest of this life I cannot simply call her or see her. This is obviously a selfish aspect, but it is real to me and is a source of pain. I will rejoice in the thought of her in heaven though, but it will always be bittersweet.

I love you Crystal, more than you know. You have been a steady source of goodness in my life and I cannot thank you enough. I had a dear friend send me this passage: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct they paths." Proverbs 3: 5-6 I hope it helps you as it did me. See you soon.

~Westleigh

Crystal said...

Thank you Wes! It's sooo very encouraging to me to have you share this. I am heading up your way this afternoon. Love you Cuz!!
Crystal
-Bittersweet until the end/beginning, when it's just plain awesome