Monday, June 08, 2009

Yahweh (YHWH)

-It comes from a verb which means "to exist, be".
Compounds:
Yahweh Jireh(Yireh)-"The Lord will provide"
Gen 22:14 And Abraham called the name of that place Jehovahjireh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the LORD it shall be seen.
Yahweh Nissi-"The Lord is my banner"
Exo 17:15-16 And Moses built an altar, and called the name of it Jehovahnissi:

For he said, Because the LORD hath sworn that the LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation.
Yahweh Shalom-"The Lord is Peace"
Jdg 6:24 Then Gideon built an altar there unto the LORD, and called it Jehovahshalom: unto this day it is yet in Ophrah of the Abiezrites.
Yahweh Sabbaoth-"The Lord of Hosts"
1Sa 17:45 Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
Yahweh Maccaddeshcem-"The Lord your Sanctifier"
Exo 31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.
Yahweh Ro’i-"The Lord my Shepherd"
Psa 23:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Yahweh Tsidkenu-"The Lord our Righteousness"
Jer 23:6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
Yahweh Shammah-"The Lord is there"
Eze 48:35 It was round about eighteen thousand measures: and the name of the city from that day shall be, The LORD is there.
Yahweh Elohim Israel-"The Lord, the God of Israel"
Jdg 5:3 Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel.

As I continue to study God's names I can't help but feel shameful. He is so much more than what my feeble brain can comprehend. So much more than what I praise him for, so much more than what I trust in him for. Surely the Bible is true, that eternal life is knowing him.

No comments: