Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Homemade Sour Cream and Raw Food Ramblings

Today I am going to go to 14 carrot and pick up some raw milk. I am excited because I am going to make sour cream! I have never made it from scratch. We use it a lot to replace Mayonnaise on sandwiches and such. I thought about making some homemade tortillas tonight as well but I don't know if I will be that adventurous.lol Jason loves %100 whole wheat tortillas so I just might surprise him.

On another subject, I am reading a book by Weston A. Price called Nutrition and Physical Degeneration I have been doing the raw food thing for so long and my body has enjoyed the extra time to heal, but I have been reading about many people who claim that this is not sustainable. It has me questioning. Don't get me wrong, this is not a complete change, I'm not even saying I will change. But, if there is something I need to add to my family's diet so that we will feel better, I want to pay attention. So I will do the research and come to some conclusions. I have a 3 month window to do the research in. I committed to an experiment recently and I want to finish it out. I had set out for it to be a 6 month experiment but we decided 3 would be more attainable. The experiment is whether or not I can gain muscle on a predominately raw food diet. If I change anything by reading Mr. Price's book it will likely just be adding in some dairy as condiments, bone broth every now and then, and maybe some meat once and a while. We will see. I don't know what he says about grinding your own wheat and whether or not that's ok. I know that my kids prefer my bread over store bought though. Yay! It's fun experimenting!
-------------------------------
Well, I went to buy some milk but they were all out. This will have to wait till Friday I guess. Bummer.

No comments: