Friday, April 09, 2010

Children's taste

It always amazes me what children will eat. Jason and I used to be surprised when the kids wouldn't eat a yummy quiche but would turn around and eat boxed macaroni and cheese. Well, we don't eat like that anymore(for the most part) and they continue to shock me. Yesteday I baked some sweet potatoes. I know they love sweet potatoes mushed with honey, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg but I decided not to add anything. I just cut the potato(I didn't smush it) and put it on their plates. They loved it. I can't believe it's that easy. And then to top it all off, I made some raw sprouted buckwheat bread/crackers and dehydrated it. It wasn't done by dinner but I let them taste it. I did't like it as much because when it's not dehydrated it has more of a buckwheat flavor. The kids loved it! They almost devoured a whole sheet. I am guessing their taste buds have changed since we starting eating more real foods but they are still amazing me. Needless to say, don't be afraid to go simple and try out new things with your children! They may surprise you. Charlotte puts red pepper, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder on everything she can(I give her freedom in this area). Here is an easy way to get your kids to eat zucchini:
~Boil enough zucchini(sliced) for your family in a large pan. I peeled mine as well but you don't have to
~Let most of the water evaporate
~Either buy or make some spaghetti sauce and poor over zucchini. Let it get hot but don't worry about boiling it. You can even turn the stove off. Serve. My kids were begging for more.

You can also use this same recipe if you spiralize the zucchini into noodles. I wouldn't boil the noodles though. It's better to either not cook them at all or just add them to the sauce and let it get warm/hot.

No comments: