Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Martin Luther on the ordinary duties of family life

"What then does Christian faith say to this? It opens its eyes, looks upon
all these insignificant, distasteful, and despised duties in the Spirit, and
is aware that they are all adorned with divine approval as with the
costliest gold and jewels. It says, O God, because I am certain that thou
hast created me as a man and hast from my body begotten this child,
I also know for a certainty that it meets with thy perfect pleasure. I confess
to thee that I am not worthy to rock the little babe or wash its diapers,
or to be entrusted with the care of the child and its mother. How
is it that I, without any merit, have come to this distinction of being
certain that I am serving thy creature and thy most precious will? O
how gladly will I do so, though the duties should be even more insignificant
and despised. Neither frost nor heat, neither drudgery nor labor,
will distress or dissuade me, for I am certain that it is thus pleasing in
thy sight. . . . God, with all his angels and creatures is smiling—not
because the father is washing diapers, but because he is doing so in
Christian faith."

No comments: