Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Picking up the pieces..everyday - Part 4

This is part of a series
Introduction, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5

For those that have had complete healing from their eating disorder, that is wonderful! This is for those that continue to struggle. Everyday is a battle, I know. It's the same thing. In the beginning of your recovery journey you might not even get a break between days. It was like that for me. I counted minutes of the hour. God, please just let me get to x o'clock before those feelings engulf me! It changes as you step through recovery and renew your mind. You will begin to have the morning free! Can you imagine a whole morning without those waves that smother you down? Then you will even have whole days where you made it through. I know this seems impossible. There will be times however, that it seems like you have reverted back. Don't let the enemy get into your head. Don't let those negative thoughts come rushing in because they will destroy your renewed mind. Turn it around and say "God, I praise you that you have given me so many hours, days etc.. without being swallowed by this addiction. Help me to move forward, and leave these negative feelings in the pit where they belong." This is when you stop thinking about eating. Go do something else, away from the kitchen! Here's an exercise that has helped me. In the next part I will get more practical
1.Write down everything that you think about yourself, good and bad. Make sure to include physical attributes
2. Take it to the Creator. If you showed God your list, what do you think he would say about those things? Would he point out lies that you have come to believe because of someone else's mirror?
3. Take the lies that you have discovered and ask "Why do I believe that?" Where does it come from? Recognize it, then replace it with the truth. ie...God made me like this so that ......
4. Write these truths down and say them when you start thinking about the lies.

No comments: